Back from Vacation...
And ready to get blogging. Puglia was amazing, just like I thought it would be. No, even more. Too much to tell and not sure where to begin, so here are a few first thoughts:
1) The color of the land in Puglia surprised me: very red and it's contrast to the olive trees and blue skies was mesmerizing.
2) The sea is almost turquoise. Unfortunately, it was a very windy week so we didn't get a chance to even take a dip in it, but one of many things to save for the next time.
3) I could eat raw fish day in and day out.
4) Alberobello is the "San Gimignano of Puglia": busloads of tourists and lots of stupid trinket shops but nonetheless pretty and interesting.
5) Bari is elegant, clean and has some great shopping...who knew?!
6) Le masserie sono bellissime! Many of these fortified farmhouses have been transformed in gorgeous homes, hotels and B&B's (just like ours).
7) Ostuni is happening! Great restaurants, bars, nightlife and one incredibly beautiful city to look at and explore.
8) Sicily has strong competition in the ricotta department.
9) Lecce has some of the prettiest buildings and streets in Italy.
10) One week was nowhere near enough. We missed Cisternino, Gallipoli, the point of Salento, Trani, Matera and more. Guess those are a good enough excuse to get back there and soon!